IVC FILTER LAWSUIT
If you or a loved one has suffered from complications of having a IVC filter inserted, call to start your IVC Filter Lawsuit today!
Inferior Vena Cava filters, or IVC filters, are a medical device that is inserted into the inferior vena cava vein. IVCs are to prevent pulmonary embolism. Pulmonary embolism occurs when a blood clot called deep vein thrombosis or DVT forms. DVTs usually form in the veins of the lower leg or thigh. The blood clot can travel up the inferior vena cava into the main chambers of the heart causing a pulmonary embolism. Pulmonary embolism or PE, can lead to death if not treated immediately. To combat PEs, IVCs are used only when patients cannot use blood thinners to dissolve blood clots.
IVC filters are a way to prevent blood clots from moving and is a short surgery. Depending on the medical issue of the patient, IVCs can be inserted permanently or be temporary. Even though inserting an IVC does benefit patients by reducing the risk of pulmonary embolism, the insertion of these filters have adverse effects.
IVC FILTERS ARE DANGEROUS
Inferior Vena Cava filter poses a myriad and sometimes life-threatening complications. According to an article in the National Center for Biotechnology Institute, patients who received IVC filters have shown the following complications:
- Defective Filter Deployment- The legs of the filter may become crossed or does not completely expand into the vein. It causes poor filtration and may induce filter movement.
- Filter Migration- Inferior Vena Cava filters can move from the inserted position to another part in the vein. The filters can also move into the valves or ventricles of the heart. When this happens, open-heart surgery must be performed to remove the filter.
- Filter Thrombosis- After the IVC filter has been inserted, patients can develop a DVT. This also increases the patient’s risk of developing a PE.
- Filter Fracture- Fracture of the legs of the IVC may occur. Since the legs can penetrate other areas, the filter may need to be removed.
- IVC Perforation- In some cases, the IVC filter can puncture the walls of the inferior vena cava vein. This can lead to significant bleeding.
- Filter Infection– As with all medical devices inserted into the body, infection can occur at the implantation site.
- Pulmonary Embolism- An insertion of an IVC filter is used to minimize the chances of a pulmonary embolism. However, there are chances that a patient may still develop a pulmonary embolism even after insertion.
IVC FILTER IN THE NEWS
Due to the ineffectiveness of stopping blood clots or creating more serious injury due to the placement of the IVC filter, manufactures of the IVC filters have been sued by victims due to the complications suffered by the IVC medical devices. Recently, a judge passed a verdict awarding victims $7.8 million for their pain and suffering from IVC filters.
HOW TRAN LAW GROUP CAN HELP
If you or a loved one received an IVC filter and suffered complications associated with implantation, call our office at 713-789-5200 today. Our IVC Filter Lawsuit Lawyers will evaluate your case for free!