WHAT ARE HERNIAS?
Hernias can happen to anyone. A hernia occurs when organs push through weak muscle walls. The most common types of hernias are found in the abdomen, groin, the umbilical cord in children, or can develop after a surgery has been performed. Since hernias vary, the treatment for hernias can either be to simply monitor it for any changes or be corrected by surgery.
WHY IS HERNIA MESH DANGEROUS?
Most hernias do not heal on their own. To correct hernias, doctors insert hernia mesh by surgery. Inserting hernia meshes, however, can pose risks. The FDA has reported that the insertion of surgical hernia mesh can produce the following complications:
- Pain– Pain can occur after the mesh was implanted.
- Infection– Infection of the site where the mesh was implanted is a complication of hernia mesh surgery.
- Re-occurrence- In most cases, doctors recommend a hernia mesh to repair the hernia. Hernias may reoccur even with the mesh implanted.
- Adhesion– Scar tissue attaches to organs after surgery or infection and can cause blockage of the bowels.
- Obstruction of the bowels– Implantation surgery can include the inability to pass stool.
- Perforation of the bowels– Often, the mesh inserted can puncture the walls of the bowel or other organs.
If complications occur, patients may have to receive corrective surgery in order to repair the hernia implant. Repetitive surgery may lead to unexpected issues such as:
- Unexpected hospital bills
- Loss of income
- Discomfort and pain
- Mental anguish and loss of enjoyment of life
HERNIA MESH IN THE NEWS
Lawsuits are being filed by victims of hernia mesh implants around the country. Manufactures most affected by the lawsuits are:
- Bard Davol
During the last decade, victims of hernia mesh have received compensation from a recent hernia mesh lawsuit. A $41 million verdict was awarded against Ethicon, a hernia mesh manufacturer in 2019. The court found that their defective mesh caused substantial injuries to a patient.
In 2011, Bard, a hernia mesh manufacture, paid $184 million to settle roughly 3,000 cases against the manufacture.
HOW TRAN LAW GROUP CAN HELP
Have you or a loved one experienced complications from a Hernia Mesh implanted? Call our office at 713-789-5200 for a free consultation and our Hernia Mesh Lawsuit Attorneys will evaluate your case for free! You may be entitled to receive compensation from ongoing hernia mesh lawsuit!